This was originally a poke cake (you are to poke holes into the cake and pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the top.) I didn’t care for the texture of the cake after this, so the next time I make this I am going to leave this step out.
I made the Grasshopper Cake for Ryan’s 26th birthday (wow, 26! where is the time going?!). It was or first birthday celebration since the birth of our daughter, so it was even more special for us! Here is a picture of Ryan’s birthday:
1chocolate cake mix + water, oil, eggs as listed on box
1 – 12.8 oz. jar of Heshey’s Special Hot Fudge Sauce
1 – 10 oz. package Keebler Fudge Mint Cookies (I use Walmart brand)
1 – 16 oz. container cool whip
1 Duncan Hines Mint flavor packet
- Prepare and bake the cake mix in a 9×13 baking dish. Allow to cool completely.
- Heat the hot fudge sauce in a small bowl in the microwave. 30-40 second should be fine, you just want it to soften a little.
- Crumble half of the fudge mint cookies into the hot fudge sauce and mix. Spread the cookie/fudge sauce over the cake.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mint packet and cool whip. Spread the whipped topping over the fudge layer.
- Crumble the remaining cookie crumbs over the top of the cool whip.
- Cut and serve.