I saw this recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens magazine. It looked delicious so I made it for my family reunion. We all loved it and I didn’t have any to take home! 🙂
1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. water
4 shallots, sliced
2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 lb. bacon, chipped (about 4 slices)
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 lb. green beans, trimmed
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 c. fresh cilantro leaves (or fresh parsley)
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, thinly slices (optional)
- For pickled shallots, in a small saucepan bring vinegar, water, shallots, sugar and 1 tsp. of the salt to a simmer. Remove from heat and let stand until ready to use.
- In a very large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes – until browned and crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain, leaving fat in skillet.
- Add oil to skillet and increase heat to high. Add beans, the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, and the pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes until beans are blistered and crisp tender.
- Stir in garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring until garlic is browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer beans to a serving platter and top with cilantro (or parsley), jalapeno, bacon, and drained pickled shallots.
- Makes 10 (3/4 c.) servings.